Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Income Innovator HubIncome Innovator Hub

Investing

Hegseth warns Europeans ‘realities’ of China and border threats prevent US from guaranteeing their security

Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth warned Europeans this week that ‘realities’ prevent the U.S. from being its security guarantor, and to expect a drawdown of U.S. forces in the region. 

‘We are focusing on security of our own borders. We also face a peer competitor in the Communist Chinese with the capability and intent to threaten our homeland and core national interests in the Indo-Pacific,’ Hegseth told a meeting of a Ukraine Defense Contact Group in Belgium on Wednesday. 

‘The U.S. is prioritizing deterring war with China in the Pacific. Recognizing the reality of scarcity and making the resourcing trade-offs to ensure deterrence does not fail. Deterrence cannot fail.‘

This was Hegseth’s first trip to the headquarters of the NATO alliance. 

The U.S. defense secretary called on Europe to ‘take ownership of conventional security on the continent.’

‘European allies must lead from the front,’ he went on. ‘Together, we can establish a division of labor that maximize our comparative advantages in Europe and Pacific, respectively.’

Hegseth said on Tuesday the U.S. has no active plans to draw down forces in Europe but remains committed to analyzing U.S. troop postures across the globe. Speaking at U.S. Africa Command headquarters in Stuttgart, Germany, he said the U.S. is committed to having a presence in Europe while emphasizing the continent should not rely on that presence for security. 

‘The European continent deserves to be free from any aggression, but it ought be those in the neighborhood investing the most in that defense,’ he said. ‘That’s common sense. You defend your neighborhood, and the Americans will come alongside you in helping in that defense.’

Roughly 100,000 U.S. troops are deployed across Europe, about a third of which are in Germany, according to Defense Department figures. Some 375,000 U.S. forces are assigned to the Indo-Pacific Command. 

During his first term, President Donald Trump began pulling thousands of troops out of Europe. 

Under the Trump administration, the U.S. has begun to bolster its troop presence on the southern border. Some 1,500 more U.S. troops deployed to the southern border last week, bringing the total up to 3,600. 

Hegseth also said that any European peacekeeping forces sent to help Ukraine win the war against Russia must not be from the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) and would not be protected under Article 5, a provision that states an attack on one NATO country is an attack on all. 

The defense secretary said the U.S. does not believe allowing Ukraine into NATO is a ‘realistic outcome of a negotiated settlement.’

Hegseth also called on NATO countries to step up after Trump recently called on them to boost defense spending to 5%. 

‘The United States will no longer tolerate an imbalanced relationship which encourages dependency.’

Earlier this week, Ukrainian President Voldymyr Zelenskyy suggested that security guarantees for Ukraine without the U.S. are ‘not real security guarantees.’ 

‘There are voices which say that Europe could offer security guarantees without the Americans, and I always say no,’ he told The Guardian. ‘Security guarantees without America are not real security guarantees.’

This post appeared first on FOX NEWS
Enter Your Information Below To Receive Latest News, And Articles.

    Stay updated with the latest news, exclusive offers, and special promotions. Sign up now and be the first to know! As a member, you'll receive curated content, insider tips, and invitations to exclusive events. Don't miss out on being part of something special.


    By opting in you agree to receive emails from us and our affiliates. Your information is secure and your privacy is protected.
    Your information is secure and your privacy is protected. By opting in you agree to receive emails from us. Remember that you can opt-out any time, we hate spam too!

    You May Also Like

    Latest News

    WINDHAM, N.H. — It’s pouring rain Saturday morning as New Hampshire Gov. Chris Sununu (R) arrives at Mary Ann’s diner in Windham, fielding calls...

    Latest News

    Former New Jersey governor Chris Christie on Wednesday announced that he would suspend his long-shot bid for the 2024 Republican presidential nomination, clearing a...

    Economy

    As the baby boomer generation continues to pass their wealth onto the generations which followed them, a recent report has shown that the amount...

    Latest News

    A super PAC that has overseen much of Ron DeSantis’s presidential operation has fired its CEO less than two weeks after the previous chief...