Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Income Innovator HubIncome Innovator Hub

Investing

Gaza plan criticized by US and Israel gets European support

A $53 billion Arab-backed plan for the reconstruction of Gaza has garnered support from France, Germany, Italy and the U.K., after receiving pushback from the U.S. and Israel. 

‘The plan shows a realistic path to the reconstruction of Gaza and promises – if implemented – swift and sustainable improvement of the catastrophic living conditions for the Palestinians living in Gaza,’ the foreign ministers wrote in a joint statement. 

The foreign ministers called for a post-war plan based on ‘a solid political and security framework,’ but reiterated the need for Hamas to not be able to govern Gaza. Additionally, the European leaders said that they are supportive of the Palestinian Authority’s (PA) ‘central role’ in a post-war Gaza and ‘the implementation of its reform agenda.’

The $53 billion Egyptian plan was meant as a counter to President Donald Trump’s U.S. takeover idea and comes after Cairo rejected the idea of accepting displaced Gazans for ‘national security’ reasons. While Trump’s plan would resettle Palestinians outside the Strip, Egypt’s proposal focuses on Palestinian-led reconstruction efforts. 

Both the U.S. and Israel have rejected the Arab-backed plan for Gaza reconstruction. Israeli Ministry of Foreign Affairs Spokesperson Oren Marmorstein said in a statement that the plan ‘fails to address the realities of the situation following October 7th, 2023, remaining rooted in outdated perspectives.’

Marmorstein’s statement also criticized the plan for its reliance on the Palestinian Authority (PA) and the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees (UNRWA). He says that both the PA and UNRWA ‘have repeatedly demonstrated corruption, support for terrorism, and failure in resolving the issue.’

While U.S. Special Envoy to the Middle East Steve Witkoff called the plan a ‘good faith first step,’ State Department Spokesperson Tammy Bruce told reporters that it ‘does not fulfill the requirements, the nature of what President Trump is asking for.’

Additionally, National Security Council spokesperson Brian Hughes expressed concerns about the plan in a statement provided to Fox News Digital.

‘The current proposal does not address the reality that Gaza is currently uninhabitable, and residents cannot humanely live in a territory covered in debris and unexploded ordnance. President Trump stands by his vision to rebuild Gaza free from Hamas.’

Trump received heavy criticism last month when he suggested the U.S. take over Gaza during a press conference with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netnayahu. Trump’s proposal would involve the relocation of Palestinians and turning the enclave into the ‘Riviera of the Middle East.’ 

Fox News’ Efrat Lachter contributed to this report.

This post appeared first on FOX NEWS
Enter Your Information Below To Receive Latest News, And Articles.

    Stay updated with the latest news, exclusive offers, and special promotions. Sign up now and be the first to know! As a member, you'll receive curated content, insider tips, and invitations to exclusive events. Don't miss out on being part of something special.


    By opting in you agree to receive emails from us and our affiliates. Your information is secure and your privacy is protected.
    Your information is secure and your privacy is protected. By opting in you agree to receive emails from us. Remember that you can opt-out any time, we hate spam too!

    You May Also Like

    Latest News

    WINDHAM, N.H. — It’s pouring rain Saturday morning as New Hampshire Gov. Chris Sununu (R) arrives at Mary Ann’s diner in Windham, fielding calls...

    Latest News

    Former New Jersey governor Chris Christie on Wednesday announced that he would suspend his long-shot bid for the 2024 Republican presidential nomination, clearing a...

    Economy

    As the baby boomer generation continues to pass their wealth onto the generations which followed them, a recent report has shown that the amount...

    Latest News

    A super PAC that has overseen much of Ron DeSantis’s presidential operation has fired its CEO less than two weeks after the previous chief...