Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Income Innovator HubIncome Innovator Hub

Investing

Trump admin’s Signal leak shows ‘profound’ risk of uncontrolled communications: former intelligence official

The Trump administration’s Signal chat leak represents the ‘profound’ risk of ‘uncontrolled communication,’ which could have implications on future operations, a former national intelligence official said Sunday.

Sue Gordon, the former principal deputy national intelligence director during President Donald Trump’s first term, reacted to the leak during an appearance on CBS’ ‘Face the Nation.’

‘I’m glad the operation was successful,’ Gordon said, referring to the U.S. military strikes on Houthi terrorist targets. ‘Now we need to deal with the fact that this should not have happened, there is consequence when it does and you can’t be sure that there’s no persistent risk that follows it.’

Gordon said that while there have been errors in the past concerning the protection of a partner’s information, this leak is different due to the Trump administration’s reaction of ‘there was nothing to see here.’

‘I don’t think we should rest on the fact that nothing bad happened this time,’ Gordon said. ‘We don’t know whether that communications path has been penetrated, so we don’t know whether state actors that have lots of resources are just sitting and lurking now knowing we do important things on [Signal].’

Signal, an encrypted messaging app, is now under the spotlight after it was revealed that top national security leaders had been in a group chat discussing plans to strike terrorists in Yemen, which also included The Atlantic’s editor-in-chief, Jeffrey Goldberg. The chat was made public by a first-hand account of the group chat published by Goldberg in an article Monday. 

The Trump administration has maintained that no classified information was shared in the chat, doubling down on Wednesday that The Atlantic’s story was a ‘hoax’ after Goldberg published specific texts from the chat. 

The messages included Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth outlining that combat aircraft were set to take off and strike drones were ready for the operation, which were accompanied by timestamps. 

Ret. Gen. Frank McKenzie, former CENTCOM commander, also appeared on the program Sunday, saying that while he was ‘surprised’ at the communications leak, he believed the ‘larger story’ was how the U.S. had ‘finally begun to strike the Houthis hard,’ at a speed ‘that, frankly, eluded the previous administration.’

McKenzie said he ‘wouldn’t take anything off the table’ about how the U.S. would confront the Iranian-backed terror group.

‘I think we have the capability — actually, right now, in Iran’s weakened state — to threaten them very strongly,’ the retired general said.

Fox News Digital’s Emma Colton contributed to this report.

This post appeared first on FOX NEWS
Enter Your Information Below To Receive Latest News, And Articles.

    Stay updated with the latest news, exclusive offers, and special promotions. Sign up now and be the first to know! As a member, you'll receive curated content, insider tips, and invitations to exclusive events. Don't miss out on being part of something special.


    By opting in you agree to receive emails from us and our affiliates. Your information is secure and your privacy is protected.
    Your information is secure and your privacy is protected. By opting in you agree to receive emails from us. Remember that you can opt-out any time, we hate spam too!

    You May Also Like

    Latest News

    WINDHAM, N.H. — It’s pouring rain Saturday morning as New Hampshire Gov. Chris Sununu (R) arrives at Mary Ann’s diner in Windham, fielding calls...

    Latest News

    Former New Jersey governor Chris Christie on Wednesday announced that he would suspend his long-shot bid for the 2024 Republican presidential nomination, clearing a...

    Economy

    As the baby boomer generation continues to pass their wealth onto the generations which followed them, a recent report has shown that the amount...

    Latest News

    A super PAC that has overseen much of Ron DeSantis’s presidential operation has fired its CEO less than two weeks after the previous chief...